Wednesday, March 22, 2017

book club day {solsc day 22}


Each Wednesday my teen book club--named Unbroken Spine by the kids after reading Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore--meets during the first half of MegaLunch. It is always a highlight of my week, and I hope of theirs.

Today we met for our final discussion of Heartless by Marissa Meyer. We have so loved this book.  It was fantastical and gorgeous. Kind of like this cake that magically appeared in time for our group today.  One of my boys mentioned he wanted to make a topsy-turvy cake for the occasion, but I never dreamed it would be such a masterpiece.  For the record, his mama ended up making it and she is a friend and known for baking.  But still.  

One of my girls was so inspired by the book that she made art with her nails, each a miniature canvas. She texted a pic to me via our group Remind over spring break and it just made my day. They were perfection. 

We had a bit of a rough go in the beginning of the year with the book club. It can be hard to find your rhythm with a new group, and the bulk of my club last year were seniors. Each group has its own quirky personality and ways of being.  The group dynamics shift with each additional person added, and with each who leaves.  We've finally begun to really meld as a group now that the year is winding down, but this year I have only one senior, and so I'm hopeful that we can transition into next year with more ease. 

I love all that Future-Ready libraries are and do, but hold dear the power of the written word and the magic of talking about the book with others after you read it.  I want them to experience books without having to annotate, or write an essay, or take a test.  I want them to read for pleasure.  That is a gift that lasts a lifetime.  I want my kids ready for that future, too. 
 . 

4 comments:

  1. I got distracted by "Megalunch". Can you explain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! yes. I am a high school librarian, grades 9-12. We have about 1600 students. We ALL have the same hour for lunch---generally 11:20-12:20. That hour is divided up into MegaLunch A and B. During this time kids choose when they want to eat and there are multiple places they can eat (the library, outside, the cafeteria, etc.) Teachers hold tutorials and club meetings, etc. during this time. ex. Teacher Jane will post her MegaLunch schedule outside her door:
      Monday: A--tutorials
      B--teacher lunch time
      Tuesday: A--teacher lunch time
      B--Scribblers club meets
      etc.
      We have a master schedule so that everyone rotates duty stations, lunch break, tutorials, clubs.

      It sounds confusing---but it really has been amazing. Our kids have no excuses for missing tutorials and riding a bus no longer means you can't be in a club. Kids enjoy that break, too.

      Delete
  2. Club days are my favorite days! Which means Thursdays are my best days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the name of the club and the literary-inspired nails!

    ReplyDelete