Saturday, March 18, 2017

Checking in on my OLW {solsc day 18}


I chose cultivate for my word this year, or maybe it chose me.  This word is my guide and my compass for the year.  There is much I long to cultivate--calm morning practices, intentional time with friends, writing time each and every day, and even actual plants.

Does this cultivate what I need and desire in my life?
If the answer is yes, then whatever it is has a chance of going on my YES list.  Not all things make the YES list---one of the biggest and most important life lessons that I still am trying to fully implement is that there will be awesome worthy things that you still need to say NO to doing.

So, for the check-in.  I am doing a better job on my reflective practices and in my daily writing (thanks, Two Writing Teachers!).  I've spent some time over spring break making time to come out of my hobbit hole and have lunch with friends--and am trying to schedule a get-together at least every other week with one friend or another.  I've got some ideas to put into play that I haven't moved on yet.  And then there's the garden situation.

Y'all I really long for a garden.  Growing up, we always shared a big garden space on our property with my grandparents.  About an acre was planted with tomatoes and beans and corn and squash and watermelons and okra and onions.  Just about every delicious veggie you can think of, we planted and harvested every year.  I love freshness on the dinner table.  Despite that, I'm dragging my feet and not getting this done.  I have a lack of tools, which makes for an easy excuse, because clearly, I could rent a tiller, etc.  I'm not sure why I'm meeting with so much resistance in myself with this, but it deserves some exploration. I know that starting is the hardest part.

9 comments:

  1. The first thing I think about when I hear the word cultivate is a garden. When overwhelmed break the task into parts. What must you do first. Perhaps a visual "road map" would help. Sorry you didn't ask for opinions, but perhaps it will cultivate a start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! I think maybe the overwhelm is the issue! It has been so long since I've gardened, and my grandparents are no longer with me to help. Totally taking this advice!

      Delete
  2. That's a wonderful OLW. I appreciate the way you "weed" to determine which opportunities will help you meet your goals. As far as your actual garden and getting ti started, I would hire a high school kid or kids to do the prep work. We had a high school boy who needed service hours prep our garden one year when I had hurt my back -- it was so nice having someone else do all that heavy work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was looking at your OLW meme the other day thinking cultivate is such a big word. It fits your personality perfectly! It makes me a little nervous. Which is why cultivate chose you and not me. ;) I'm not a gardener. So take my suggestion for what it's worth (not much by the way) but what about starting small? Maybe potted plants or a smaller section of your yard? Then each year add square footage or if you start with pots transfer them to a small section of your yard next year. In theory I like the idea of a garden. But the work. Ugh the works is not my kind of work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes to starting small! most definitely. I just need to make it happen!

      Delete
  4. I am always interested in learning what people have chosen for their OLW. Cultivate says so much. Nice choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the question you asked yourself about saying yes or no based on if it cultivates what you want in life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cultivate is quite the word. It's tricky to cultivate what hasn't been started...and starting is so hard sometimes!

    ReplyDelete