Saturday, March 11, 2017

on adornment {solsc day 11}


I read a really thought-provoking blog post this week.  I was alerted to it by a friend who belongs to a particular Facebook group I'm in and knew immediately this was something I wanted to read--and then found that it included a video I needed to watch.

It is all about expressing your authentic self through adornment---clothes, jewelry, makeup, body art, whatever.  It is NOT about fitting in with society's standards of such things, but rather about listening to what makes your heart sing and going for it.  Living out loud and expressing outwardly who you are authentically.  It isn't about vanity or what is "in".

It is also about creating rituals around beauty and letting that feed your soul rather than drain it.  I pretty much have this down as an evening routine (a hot bath with Dr. Teal's Eucalyptus Spearmint, candle going, space heater if necessary, with my Posh charcoal face soap, a yummy green tea soap for the bod, and something wonderful to listen to while I soak) but my weekday mornings are more chaos than calming.

This is one of my life's roller coaster topics, so I'm always drawn to it. Despite my dalliances with adornment throughout my life, I have found myself captivated by what I heard today and so my thoughts keep circling back.

My goal for this weekend is to make a new list of what I like, what I'm drawn to, what calls to me in terms of really feeling good in my own skin and then to translate that into developing a morning routine that is both calming and energizing for my day instead of my current banshee-making system.

I'll also be cleaning out my closet, drawers, and bathroom vanity area of anything that no longer serves to put a positive vibe in my day, a swagger in my step, and a song in my heart.

Here's to authentic adornment.  Let's see where this takes us.


1 comment:

  1. Sonja, This is an intriguing topic.....how does one honor her body? I struggle with consistent self care. I would love to be privy of your journey. I might find answers in mine through your walk.

    ReplyDelete