Friday, March 24, 2017

Tyrus, Tallulah, & Tom {solsc day 24}

I've had a lot of pets in my life, but I've had three that were head & tails above the rest. These sweet beings added comfort, joy, and much laughter and I'll always be grateful.

Tyrus was my beloved pug.   I was in my early 20's and going through a very rough time as a young woman getting a divorce from my starter husband.  I was the girl who "did everything right" and couldn't believe my life had taken me on this path.  I was sad and angry and mortified.  One night I got a call from my brothers. They told me a friend of theirs had pug puppies and all had been sold but the last.  No one wanted him because he was not fawn with the black mask, but rather all black.  I took this baby in a heartbeat.

My Ty arrived as such a tiny little bundle.  He was the most loving hilarious little rascal! His gentle snoring was reassuring.  He was content to just snuggle up in my lap and be with me whether I was reading or watching late-night TV or crying.  He was loyal and precious.  He never met a stranger and I had to watch him on our walks as this guy couldn't resist any chewing gum or cigarette butts he found.  We did have that disastrous Nacho Cheese Doritos incident (who knew he could jump so high while I was at work?) and those pearl earrings were never the same once he swallowed them (um, yeah...they eventually...showed up) but those were small in comparison to the amount of love this little guy gave me. I miss him.

Tallulah was my darling tortoiseshell calico. I was teaching elementary school in McKinney, Texas.  A teacher friend was begged into taking in a pregnant mama cat by her little boy.  "What if you were expecting a baby and were homeless, Mama?" The kittens were born and she found homes for all of them.  All but one.  I will admit that Tallulah had to grow into her true beauty.  She was a little homely looking to tell you the truth.  In a litter of coal black and solid white kitties, she was the ugly duckling of the group.  She was lively and playful and smart as a whip.  She could sense when I had a headache or tummy ache and she would lay on that part of my body to comfort me.  As she grew up she became the most gorgeous cat you've ever seen.  She never once threatened to climb my Christmas tree, she just lay there with her peridot green eyes taking in all the sparkles. My husband bonded with Talu, too.  When our first daughter came along, they bonded, as well. She was a much-loved family member. I miss her.

Tom was my big lover-boy.  He was, clearly. a big Tom. He found us and decided he'd keep us. He wasn't an inside cat, and I knew of his straying ways when I fell for him.  He was the most spectacularly handsome fella.  A lover and a fighter.  If he wasn't done with me petting him, he ran to the back door, covered it with both enormous front paws and used one to bat my hand away from the handle. He was kind and gentle with both my girls---even allowing the little one to pick him up and carry him in a most uncomfortable position. He was nearly as big as she was. We were all captivated by his charm and heartbroken when he left us. My husband is an early-morning runner. He spotted the bobcat in the neighborhood. And then our Tom was gone. I like to think he lived so fully in his time on this earth that it makes up a little for the fact that it was cut short.  I miss him.

2 comments:

  1. Pets are so special! I've had 3 dogs in my life time. My 1st dog was mean! He bit everyone & we finally had to put him down. My other two dogs were/are sweeties!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pet posts! I wasn't planning to write about mine again this month, but a couple of them found their way into today's slice. I loved reading about Tallulah, which is also one of my favorite names.

    ReplyDelete